Saturday, May 2, 2009

Sunday 26th April

Sunday 26th April



A.M.

Went for a 5 mile run around the Ardattin circut.

I felt extremely tired all the way around and finished somewhere close to 45 minutes (can't be bothered to look up the exact time)



P.M.

Called over to Allen with my bike and we headed for the Corrubut Gap via Bagnalstown. I was hoping that when we crested the gap that we would head for the nine stones. Well, was that all going to change !!!



As we headed up the first steep section Allen went ahead of me. He had a steely look in his eye and was totally focused on getting to the top.

I managed to get about 1/3 of the way up when I had to stop. I actually got off the bike and walked around a bit, then I puked, not very pleasant but a least I would be a bit lighter for the rest of the climb.
Eventually made to the top but as I was getting there I noticed Allen heading back down to look for me. I had a laugh to myself (would have laughed more if I wasn't in pain) because when he saw me he turned around to head back to the top but the hill was so steep he couldn't get back on the bike and had to walk back to the summit...

When I got to the top I got off the bike again and huffed and puffed for a while. All plans to head for the nine stones were abandoned and god bless Allen he suggested that it looked like rain so maybe we should take the short route home. (thanks Al)

I had a first on the way down !!!
It's a horribly steep downhill and since I fell off a bike as a young lad at terminal volocity I don't like downhills
I don't know if it was because I was gripping the bars so tightly on the way up or something else but on the way down I could smell the brake blocks burning (not a first) and my hands and forearms were starting to cramp. I actually had to stop to take the pressure off my hands, I thought that I was going to lose the ability to pull the brakes and knew there was an especially steep bit just before a T junction. Imagine how stupid that makes me feel !!! Stopping on a downhill....

We got back to Allens after only abut 32 miles. Last spin before the Sliabh Bloom challenge... God help me !!!!

No comments: